11 February 2010

Language Permutations

The following were among the winners in a New York Magazine contest in which contestants were to take a well-known expression in a foreign language, change a single letter, and provide a definition for the new expression.
  • HARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?
  • EX POST FUCTO - Lost in the mail
  • IDIOS AMIGOS - We're wild and crazy guys!
  • VENI, VIPI, VICI - I came, I'm a very important person, I conquered.
  • COGITO EGGO SUM - I think; therefore I am a waffle.
  • RIGOR MORRIS - The cat is dead.
  • RESPONDEZ S'IL VOUS PLAID - Honk if you're Scottish.
  • LE ROI EST MORT. JIVE LE ROI - The king is dead. No kidding.
  • POSH MORTEM - Death styles of the rich and famous
  • PRO BOZO PUBLICO - Support your local clown.
  • MONAGE A TROIS - I am three years old.
  • MAZEL TON - Tons of luck
  • APRES MOE LE DELUGE - Larry and Curly got wet.
  • ICH LIEBE RICH - I'm really crazy about having dough.
  • FUI GENERIS - What's mine is mine.
  • CA VA SANS DIRT - And that's not gossip.